Saturday, June 15, 2013

Mollie's Birthday Take 3

Mollie's birthday was during the week of VBS.  She had cupcakes with her Bible school class and then cupcakes at home, but we waited until things had calmed down a bit to invite family over for a true birthday party.  

 Yesterday afternoon, Ben and Mollie helped me bake Mollie's birthday cake.  We used two boxed mixes so Ben got to break six eggs into the bowl while Mollie added the water and oil.

 Ben used the hand mixer while Mollie stirred with a wooden spoon.

 Licking the bowl.

 Mollie wanted a Cinderella cake.  I found this princess cake idea online.  It looked pretty easy.  Bake the cake in a mixing bowl to be the dress and then stick a Barbie doll down through the center of the cake for the body.  I looked critically at some of the whonky cake pictures posted proudly online.  Ha, it was not easy.  I knew the Cinderella doll was tall, so I used my largest mixing bowl plus my smallest to stack two cakes.  However, at seven o'clock last night I was nearly in breakdown with Cinderella's hips sticking out two inches above the cake.  John said she looked more like Marilyn Monroe popping out of a cake than Cinderella.  For a few minutes, I thought I was the Cake Boss and tried trimming around the bottom of the cake and then filling in around the top with the extra cake. It was all falling off, crumbs in the icing, a disaster.  I peeled all that off and started squirting icing straight on Cinderella's body with my cookie press/icing gun. That worked.  To cover the lumpy icing, I dumped mounds of blue sprinkles all over the dress.  I know she's still kind of lumpy and uneven, but I consider the cake a roaring success knowing what it looked like when I started.

 Mollie loved her Cinderella cake and that's what really mattered.

 Candles lit.

 Nana, Grandaddy, Ben, and John singing Happy Birthday.

 MawMaw Wilma, PawPaw Sherman, and MawMaw D'Juana singing.

 Mollie blew them all out in one blow.

 Mollie was throwing the paper and gifts out so fast she hardly knew what was in this bag from Nana and Grandaddy.

 PJs and dress up jewelry in a sand bucket from Aunt Connie.

 What could be in these boxes from MawMaw and PawPaw?

 A pink BB gun.

 A race car for Ben from MawMaw Wilma and PawPaw Sherman.

 A very loud alphabet learning toy from MawMaw D'Juana and PawPaw Mac.

 Opening a card from MawMaw Wilma and PawPaw Sherman.

No comments: