Friday, October 29, 2010

Popcorn Balls

One of my childhood Halloween memories is going to Pink MawMaw's house and getting popcorn balls.

My great-grandmother, MawMaw Ganey, who I called Pink MawMaw.

When I decided a few weeks ago that I wanted to make popcorn balls for Halloween, I pulled out the 1990 100 Years and Still Cooking cookbook from Fellowship Baptist Church hoping to find MawMaw's recipe. And I wasn't disappointed.

Ben helped by listening for the first kernels of popcorn to pop and by pouring the sugar, corn syrup and salt into the saucepan.

I halved the recipe and only made six for us to eat. They turned out perfectly.

You have to work fast and the syrup is REALLY hot. I've got a nice blister on the end of my finger to prove it.

As I was forming the popcorn into balls, Ben was freaking out: "No balls, no balls, no balls." He thought I was ruining the popcorn. He changed his mind once he got to eat one.

He didn't like how they stuck in his teeth though. We had to brush them twice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad's been talking all week about the popcorn balls that his MawMaw Rie always made and wishing he had some, I'll have to try out this recipe!
Christie

Tom, Cara, Aubrey and Ella Kate said...

This is sweet. I am guessing that you was Punky Brewster for Halloween in that picture.