Saturday, July 2, 2011

Campout

We kicked off the 4th of July weekend grilling hot dogs, making S'Mores, and camping in the backyard.

Ben was so excited about eating supper on the back porch.

John and Ben making S'Mores. Our original plan was to roast marshmellows in the chiminea, but since we didn't get any rain this week we were concerned that it was too dry to have even a small fire.

Enjoying our S'Mores on the back porch. Mollie just got graham crackers.

Our tent is HUGE. It fit a queen size air mattress, a toddler air mattress, and a pack-n-play with room to walk around. Mollie loved climbing on and off the air mattresses.

I put Mollie's pack-n-play in one side and then hung a sheet to block her view of the air mattresses. She actually fell asleep quickly and slept well.

Ben was super excited and a little scared about sleeping outside in the tent so it took him a LONG time to fall asleep. He woke up screaming at 2 a.m. I'm not sure whether he was having a bad dream or didn't know where he was when he woke up. I picked him up and patted him for a minute and he went right back to sleep. The screaming woke Mollie up, of course, but as soon as he stopped, Mollie stopped and went right back to sleep. Ben woke us all up about 6:45 a.m. We consider it a successful camping trip since we all made it through the night outside in the tent.

The tent ventilated well and wasn't nearly as hot as we expected. We did run a cord from the porch and plugged in a box fan. I just had a sheet on our bed since I expected to be sweating and wished I had brought a blanket. Next time, I will.

No comments: